St Just-in-Penwith Parish Church

St Just-in-Penwith Parish Church

The ancient, grade II listed church is a fine building located at the very heart of the town of St Just-in-Penwith (Cornish : Eglos Lanust), the most westerly town on the mainland of Britain, about seven miles west of Penzance.

The present church is medieval in origin.  It houses the Selus Stone which is thought to date from the late 5th or early 6th centuries.  Bearing the Latin inscription Selus Ic Iacet (Selus lies here) the stone is thought to refer to Salomon of Cornwall, otherwise known as Saint Selevan a brother of Saint Just.  The earliest written record thought to exist of the church dates to 1291 when it is recorded in the Taxatio Eccles. Archdiac Cornub  as 'Eccles. Sti Justi'.

The church was rebuilt in 1334 and rededicated on 13 July 1336 by the Bishop of Exeter, John Grandisson.  Sadly only part of the chancel remains from the church built in 1334 as the rest of current building dates from the 15th-century.

The Church is at the heart of the Town's life serving those nearby and the largely rural community around and is part of the newly formed Penwith Pilgrim Churches, together with nearby Pendeen and Morvah churches.

The parish forms part of the gloriously wild and ruggedly beautiful area of West Penwith at the most westerly tip of Cornwall. The parish and town has been shaped by its industrial mining past and is part of the UNESCO Cornish Mining World Heritage Site as well as being in the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Contact

The Vicarage

St Just

Penzance

TR19 7UB

Tel: +44 1736 788672