St. Breward Parish Church

St. Breward Parish Church

St. Breward lies on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor, north of the A30 and east of St. Tudy and the Atlantic Highway.

There are several versions of how St. Breward got its name - a not uncommon situation in Cornwall. It was not listed in the Domesday Book, at which time it was probably part of St. Tudy. It was also called Simonward. The name Breward may also come from the French for heath, bruyere.

However, there was also a Celtic saint called Branwalder or Broladre in Brittany and Jersey. The church was dedicated to St Brueredus in 1278 and is the highest church in Cornwall.

Contact

Tel: 01208 851315