St Austell Market House

St Austell Market House

This old building is of great historical and architectural importance. In the middle ages it was customary for Markets and Fairs to be held in Churchyards, but in the reign of Edward III a Law was passed to prohibit such activities on Church premises and the Markets transferred to some adjacent site nearby.

The building was designed by Cope & Eales of London and build by Olver & Sons Falmouth. The building has a large irregular floor plan, designed to fill available town centre site: at the principal front the ground floor is vaulted, 5 bays wide and 3 bays deep; behind is a large market hall open to the roof and with glazed lean-to shops on 3 sides; at either side granite steps up to higher level under axial roof to large entrance on right, and behind this there are 4 parallel roofs at right angles to the front.

The main market hall has a celebrated roof structure – massive yellow pine timber trusses span the full width. The roof is a splendid array of braced and wind-braced queen-post roof structures. It is one of the best market halls in the country, the wooden vaulted ceiling is thought to be the largest freestanding ceiling of its type in Europe.

The site upon which the Market House now stands was previously used as Market Place and records show that in 1791 a small market building stood on the site. It was totally inadequate for the needs of a growing market town and in 1842 an Act of Parliament was given Royal Assent by Queen Victoria to permit the people of St Austell to build a Market House and Town Hall on the site.

Contact

St. Austell Market House

Market Hill

St Austell

PL25 5QB

Tel: +44 7773 110752